Imagine how amazing it would feel for a warm steady flow of oil flowing onto your forehead as you relax.
This is what Shirodhara is. Dated back 5,000 years, this treatment is derived from Ayurveda, an ancient Indian healing system. The steady flow of warm oil onto the forehead stimulates the pituitary gland, or "third-eye." It is one of the most divine therapies, awakening your body's intuitive knowledge. "Shiro," means head, and "dhara" is the continuous flow of a liquid of warm herbal oils, milk or buttermilk, or decoctions which are poured in a slow steady stream on your forehead. This treatment is profoundly relaxing, nourishing. It improves your mental clarity and comprehension. Benefits of Shirodhara:
- Stimulates the 3rd eye and crown chakras, and awakens intuition and inner wisdom
- Relieves stress, anxiety, depression, and insomnia through natural serotonin, dopamine, and melatonin release
- Helps mental focus and concentration
- Balances VATA DOSHA
- Works on the cerebral system, helps to relax the nervous system, and balances the 'Praan Vaayu' (life force energy) around the head
- Improves the sensitivity of five senses
- Reduces and relieves migraine headaches
- Decreases hair loss and fatigue and makes one calm and refreshed
- Deeply relaxes mind and body
- Releases negative emotions and thought patterns.
- Improves sleep patterns
- Rejuvenates the entire face and softens worry lines
- Heightens the senses
- Increases spiritual awareness
- Pacifies vata reducing anxiety, restlessness, irritability, nervousness, fear & excessive thinking
- Improves mental focus and concentration.
These benefits are further enhanced after a massage or Abhyanga, when the body is already relaxed and in a receptive state. This is just one of the many treatments the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda has to offer.